CaregiverAsia (CGA) is growing!
Looking to join our vibrant and dynamic family at CaregiverAsia?
You’ll need a to have a ‘can do’ attitude and not be afraid to be thrown in the deep end (with a life saver handy of course). The core technical skills for this role are important so you need to know at least 80% of these skills and the other 20% we will help nurture through development and growth opportunities. We are a social company so good writing and jargon free communication skills are a must. You also have to be open, honest and transparent. Finally, as we’re a startup you have to be adaptable and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with lots of different moving parts. If you like an adventure, we’re it!
If this is YOU, please read on!
We are now looking for Operations Intern.
You are to support and assist the Operations Team in:
- Handling both inbound and outbound calls and emails with high levels of customer care. Being independent, you are effective in resolving our customers’ complaints.
- Doing basic Admin and Data Entry duties.
- Part of your responsibility is to maintain and accurately update our customers’ enquiries and problems.
- Providing other administrative support when required.
- Assisting in generating of reports when necessary.
Do you have a great interest in motivating, empowering and mobilizing people and communities to care? Come join us! Kindly forward your full CV including the position you are applying for, your personal particulars, professional qualifications, e-mail address and contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org